* This site is privately owned and is not affiliated or endorsed by the Social Security Administration or any other government agency.

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)


Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) is a benefit provided to eligible U.S. military service members and their families. It offers financial reimbursement for temporary housing and associated costs when moving due to a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) or other authorized reasons. The goal of TLE is to alleviate the financial burden of relocation and help service members transition smoothly to their new duty station.

Key Takeaways

  1. Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) is a partial reimbursement for eligible expenses incurred by veterans during temporary stays in lodgings when relocating due to a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) within the United States.
  2. TLE can be claimed for a maximum of ten days and is calculated based on various factors, including lodging receipt costs, locality per diem rate, and the number of dependents accompanying the veteran during the relocation.
  3. To be eligible for TLE, veterans must be active-duty military personnel, provide proper documentation of the PCS move, and submit lodging receipts and other required forms to their respective financial services office.


The Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) is an essential term in the context of VA benefits as it provides critical financial support for qualifying veterans and their families during times of transition.

TLE is a partial reimbursement benefit designed to help offset the expenses incurred while staying in temporary accommodations, such as hotels or rental properties, when moving to a new permanent residence due to a change in duty station or the separation or retirement from active military service.

By covering part of these transitional housing costs, TLE eases the financial burden on veterans and their families during these significant life events, offering stability and peace of mind as they establish their new homes and lives.


Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) is a vital program designed specifically to alleviate the financial burden that military personnel and their families may face when transitioning between duty stations or when moving to a new residence upon retiring or separating from the military. The purpose of the TLE is to offer temporary support during the process of finding suitable housing accommodations while adjusting to a new environment.

This financial assistance is available for up to 10 days for military members moving within the continental United States and up to 5 days for those moving to or from Hawaii or Alaska. TLE is primarily used to cover the cost of lodging in commercial establishments such as hotels or motels, and it can also include meals and incidental expenses (M&IE). It is important to note that the amount reimbursed through TLE is based on a percentage of the per diem rate and is determined by factors such as rank, the number of dependents, and the location of the temporary lodging.

Therefore, TLE is tailored to the specific needs of each service member and their family, offering them valuable financial support during an often stressful and expensive relocation process. By providing such support, the TLE program seeks to ensure a smoother transition for military personnel and their families as they adapt to their new surroundings and homes.

Examples of Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) is a benefit offered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) that partially reimburses eligible service members and their families for temporary lodging costs incurred during a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move. Here are three real-world examples of situations where individuals may use TLE:

Marine transferring to a new base: A U.S. Marine based in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, receives orders to transfer to Camp Pendleton, California. While awaiting their permanent housing arrangements at Camp Pendleton, they and their family stay in a local hotel for five days. The Marine is eligible for TLE reimbursement, which can help cover the cost of the temporary accommodation.

Air Force member relocating overseas: An Air Force service member stationed in Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, is assigned to a new post in Ramstein Air Base, Germany. Before departing the U.S., the service member and their family spend three days in temporary lodging near Joint Base Andrews while preparing for the overseas move. The service member may receive TLE reimbursement for the expenses incurred during this stay.

Navy spouse looking for off-base housing: A Navy service member has recently moved to Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia, and is living in on-base housing. Their spouse joins them and they decide to look for a house off-base. While house hunting, they stay in a hotel for several days and incur lodging expenses. As long as the stay falls within the eligibility criteria, the Navy service member may claim TLE to be partially reimbursed for the lodging expenses during this time.Remember that TLE reimbursement has limits on the number of days and the daily dollar amount. It is essential to understand these limits and eligibility criteria before making temporary lodging arrangements during a PCS move.

FAQ for Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)

1. What is Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)?

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) is a benefit provided to eligible servicemembers and their families to partially reimburse them for lodging and meal expenses incurred due to a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move within the Continental United States (CONUS).

2. Who is eligible for TLE?

Active duty servicemembers and their dependents who are relocating from one duty station to another within the Continental United States (CONUS) due to a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) order are eligible for TLE.

3. How much TLE reimbursement can I receive?

The maximum TLE reimbursement is capped at $290 per day for lodging and meals, but the actual amount you’ll receive depends on your rank, location, and the actual cost of lodging and meals. TLE is paid for up to 10 days, but the actual number of authorized days depends on your specific circumstances and the availability of permanent housing.

4. How do I apply for TLE?

To apply for TLE, you must submit a completed DD Form 1351-2 (Travel Voucher or Subvoucher) along with all required supporting documents, including receipts for lodging expenses, to your local finance office within 5 days of the completion of your travel.

5. Can I use TLE for temporary lodging during my house-hunting trip?

No, TLE is only authorized for temporary lodging expenses incurred after you have detached from your old duty station and before you have reported to your new duty station. Expenses incurred during a house-hunting trip are not eligible for TLE reimbursement.

Related VA Benefit Terms

  • Relocation Assistance
  • Temporary Housing
  • Per Diem Allowance
  • Military Move
  • Station Change

Sources for More Information