* This site is privately owned and is not affiliated or endorsed by the Social Security Administration or any other government agency.

Disability Housing Grants


Disability Housing Grants refer to financial assistance provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to eligible veterans and service members with disabilities. These grants aim to help recipients build, modify, or purchase adapted homes that accommodate their disabilities. The goal is to enhance the individuals’ mobility and overall quality of life within their living spaces.

Key Takeaways

  1. Disability Housing Grants are financial assistance provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to disabled veterans or service members to help them purchase, build, or modify a home to accommodate their disabilities.
  2. There are three main types of VA disability housing grants: Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant, Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant, and Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) Grant. Each grant has specific eligibility requirements and maximum amounts that can be awarded.
  3. Applying for a VA Disability Housing Grant requires submitting an application through the VA, as well as providing documentation to prove eligibility, such as a disability rating, medical records, and evidence of ownership or proposed ownership of the property.


Disability Housing Grants are crucial for disabled veterans as they provide essential financial assistance towards modifying or purchasing homes that accommodate their specific needs.

These needs may include improved accessibility, mobility, and overall safety.

By offering these grants, the Department of Veterans Affairs is actively supporting the comfort and independence of disabled veterans, significantly improving their quality of life.

In turn, these grants acknowledge the sacrifices veterans have made and ensure they receive adequate support as they transition into post-service living situations.


Disability Housing Grants are an essential component of the support system provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to disabled veterans in the United States. The primary purpose of these grants is to remove financial barriers and assist disabled veterans in attaining a suitable and comfortable living environment that caters to their specific needs.

These grants address the challenges faced by veterans with disabilities, helping them to modify their homes or acquire new, accessible homes with adaptive features to improve their daily lives and promote self-sufficiency. The VA offers several types of Disability Housing Grants to cater to various disability levels and situations.

These include the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant, the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant, and the Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant. Each grant targets different aspects of housing, like home modifications, construction of a new home, or adapting a family member’s home for the disabled veteran’s needs.

By providing financial assistance, the VA ensures that the brave individuals who have served their country receive the adequate accessibility and independence they require in their homes, thereby enhancing their overall quality of life.

Examples of Disability Housing Grants

The VA Disability Housing Grants are designed to help eligible veterans and service members with disabilities to adapt, purchase, or modify their homes to accommodate their specific needs. Here are three real-world examples:

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant: A disabled veteran named John, who lost both of his legs in combat, uses the SAH grant to modify his existing home. Through the grant, John installs ramps, wider doorways, and a roll-in shower to accommodate his needs for a wheelchair-friendly living space, enabling him to live more comfortably and independently.

Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant: Mary, a veteran diagnosed with severe burn injuries from her time in the service, is eligible for the SHA grant. With this grant, she modifies her home by installing a central air conditioning system, specialized windows and blinds to control light exposure, and other adaptations to help manage her condition and temperature sensitivity more effectively.

Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) Grant: Bill, a veteran with limited mobility due to a spinal cord injury sustained while on active duty, is currently staying with his brother while his own home is being constructed. Bill applies for a TRA grant to make temporary modifications to his brother’s home, including installing a ramp at the entrance and grab bars in the bathroom, allowing him to safely live in the temporary residence until his own accessible home is completed.

FAQ: Disability Housing Grants

What are Disability Housing Grants?

Disability Housing Grants are financial assistance programs offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for eligible disabled veterans and service members. These grants aim to help in purchasing, building, or modifying homes to meet their specific disability needs, allowing them to live independently and comfortably.

Who is eligible for Disability Housing Grants?

Eligible applicants include veterans and service members who have sustained a service-connected disability, have received a disability rating from the VA, and meet specific disability requirements. Also, the eligibility criteria vary for different types of disability housing grants, such as the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant, the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant, and the Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant.

What is the difference between SAH, SHA, and TRA grants?

The SAH grant assists veterans in building, modifying, or purchasing an accessible home, meeting their specific needs. The SHA grant helps qualified veterans adapt their residential property or that of a family member with whom they reside. The TRA grant is a temporary financial aid for eligible veterans to modify a family member’s home they are temporarily residing in.

How do I apply for a Disability Housing Grant?

To apply for a Disability Housing Grant, you must fill out the VA Form 26-4555 (Veteran’s Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant) available online through the eBenefits portal, or submit a printed copy of the form to your nearest VA regional office. Ensure that you have all necessary documents, including a written statement from your doctor detailing how the grant will help you live more independently.

How much funding does the VA provide for Disability Housing Grants?

The amount of funding varies depending on the type of grant you’re applying for and the specific needs related to your disability. The VA updates the maximum grant amounts every fiscal year, so it’s essential to visit the VA website or contact your local VA office for the current grant amounts.

Can I use my grant funds for a home purchase?

Yes, grant funds from the SAH and SHA programs can be used towards the purchase cost of an adapted home. However, it’s best to consult the VA before proceeding with the home purchase, as there are specific requirements for using grant funds towards a home purchase.

Related VA Benefit Terms

  • Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grants
  • Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grants
  • Temporary Residence Assistance (TRA) Grants
  • Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) Grants
  • Native American Direct Loan (NADL) Program

Sources for More Information