* This site is privately owned and is not affiliated or endorsed by the Social Security Administration or any other government agency.

Non-Service-Connected Pensions for Parents


Non-Service-Connected Pensions for Parents is a VA benefit that provides financial support to the parents of a deceased veteran. These pensions are available to the parents if their income is below a certain limit and if the veteran’s death was not directly related to their military service. The purpose of this benefit is to assist the parents in managing their financial well-being while recognizing the veteran’s commitment to their country.

Key Takeaways

  1. Non-Service-Connected Pensions for Parents are financial assistance provided to qualifying parents of deceased veterans whose death was not related to their military service.
  2. Eligibility for this pension is determined by the parent’s income, net worth, and dependency on the veteran for financial support before the veteran’s death.
  3. Parents must apply for this benefit through the Department of Veterans Affairs and, if approved, will receive a monthly tax-free pension payment to help cover their living expenses.


The term “Non-Service-Connected Pensions for Parents” is important because it refers to a specific type of financial assistance provided to the parents of deceased or permanently disabled veterans.

This type of pension is granted by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to help parents who have a limited income and are not financially capable of supporting themselves.

Non-service-connected pensions offer critical monetary support to the families of veterans whose death or disability is not directly related to their military service.

By assisting these parents, the VA honors the sacrifices made by their veteran children while ensuring their well-being and financial stability.


The Non-Service-Connected Pension for Parents is a fundamental provision within the VA benefits, specifically designed to provide a financial safety net for low-income, dependent parents who have lost a son or daughter in service with the United States Armed Forces. The key objective of this benefit is to alleviate the financial burdens and hardships on these individuals, honoring the service of their deceased child and recognizing the sacrifice made by the family as well.

By offering financial assistance, the program aims to provide a more stable financial future to the deserving parents, irrespective of whether the veteran’s death was directly caused by their military service. Moreover, the program not only demonstrates the gratitude of the nation towards these families but also serves as a gesture of respect towards the deceased veterans.

As part of the VA benefits package, the Non-Service-Connected Pensions for Parents is a crucial component in upholding the principles of support and commitment to the families of those who have valiantly served the country. By providing economic sustenance to the qualified parents, the program ensures that the families left behind will receive the help they need, giving them the opportunity to maintain a basic standard of living in the midst of their loss.

Examples of Non-Service-Connected Pensions for Parents

Non-Service-Connected Pensions for Parents (Parent’s DIC) are VA benefits provided to parents of deceased veterans who did not die due to service-related injuries or illnesses. Here are three real-world examples of situations where parents might be eligible for this pension:

Example 1: A veteran serves in the military and is honorably discharged. Several years after leaving the service, the veteran passes away due to a sudden illness unrelated to their military service, such as a heart attack or stroke. As the veteran’s parents have limited income and resources, they can apply for the Non-Service-Connected Pension to receive financial assistance from the VA.

Example 2: A veteran finishes her service in the military and transitions to civilian life. She starts a family and works in a successful career. Unfortunately, she is involved in a fatal car accident that is not related to any military service. Her parents, who rely on her financial support and have limited means of their own, can apply for the Non-Service-Connected Pension to help them cover living expenses following their daughter’s passing.

Example 3: A veteran serves in the military for many years and then retires. He lives a healthy life but eventually succumbs to cancer that is determined to be unrelated to his military service. His elderly parents, who have limited resources and live on a fixed income, can apply for the Non-Service-Connected Pension to receive financial support as they deal with the loss of their son.

FAQ: Non-Service-Connected Pensions for Parents

What is the non-service-connected pension for parents?

A non-service-connected pension for parents is a type of financial assistance provided to the parents of deceased or disabled veterans. It is meant to offer support to those who have lost a child due to military service or have children who are suffering from a disability caused by their service.

Who is eligible for the non-service-connected pension?

To be eligible for the non-service-connected pension, a parent must meet certain criteria: their child must be a deceased or disabled veteran, they must be financially dependent on the veteran’s income, and they must meet specific income thresholds established by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

How can I apply for the non-service-connected pension?

You can apply for the non-service-connected pension by filing an application with the VA. This can be done online, in person at a VA regional office, or by mailing the necessary forms to the VA. The main application form is the VA Form 21-0304 which is specifically designed for parents applying for a pension.

What documents do I need to provide when applying for the pension?

When applying for the non-service-connected pension, you’ll need to provide the following documents: proof of income (such as tax returns or bank statements), proof of the veteran’s military service (DD214), the veteran’s death certificate (if applicable), medical records or disability rating for the veteran, and any other documentation necessary to prove your eligibility for the pension.

How much money can I receive from the non-service-connected pension?

The amount you can receive from the non-service-connected pension depends on your income, the income threshold set by the VA, and the details of your specific situation. The VA uses a “Maximum Annual Pension Rate” (MAPR) to determine the maximum amount you can receive. If your income is below the MAPR, the VA will assist you in making up the difference between your income and the MAPR.

When will I receive my pension payments?

Once your application is approved, you will receive payments on a monthly basis. It may take several weeks or months for your application to be processed and approved, so it is important to be patient and allow the VA time to review your application and documentation.

Can I continue to receive non-service-connected pension if I remarry?

In most cases, you can continue to receive the non-service-connected pension if you remarry. However, if your new spouse has a higher income that pushes your combined income above the MAPR, you may lose eligibility for the pension. It is important to report any changes in your marital or financial status to the VA promptly to avoid any issues with your pension eligibility.

Related VA Benefit Terms

  • Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
  • Means Test and Income Thresholds
  • Veterans Affairs Pension Program
  • Survivors’ Pension Benefits
  • Parents’ Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

Sources for More Information